Pixel Toys is looking for a talented Level Designer with the passion and skill set to create amazing content. We need someone who is a creative problem solver, an excellent communicator and who always shows high levels of enthusiasm and craft for creating great games.
Working in Unity 3D, you’ll assemble levels and quests to specification using our in-house tools – ensuring the content you create is great fun to play, flows well and builds on the core mechanics in an engaging way with variety and surprise elements. Given the responsibility for the production of your levels from concept to final release, you’ll take pride in delivering a smooth playing experience and progression that’s tuned for new users and seasoned players alike.
As a core team member, you’ll work closely with the creative leads and game team, helping to take the vision from concept to completion. We’ll provide you with a flexible and fun environment, and give you the opportunity to add your own ideas to the mix to help create the most enjoyable and entertaining games possible.
This is an opportunity to join a growing developer at an exciting time in the company’s development, and to work on innovative titles that push the limits of the latest mobile, VR and AR hardware.
As a candidate for this role, you are expected to have achieved a relevant degree at 2:1 or higher and to be in a position to showcase your previous work or portfolio.
- Own the design of assigned levels, ensuring the game vision is upheld and all gameplay is developed to the highest possible standard
- Break down high-level ideas into detail, create precise content specifications, paper based designs and level maps
- Prototype gameplay, develop white-boxes and create a suite of tried and tested gameplay scenarios, puzzles and solutions
- Build, script and iterate level content
- Write required game narrative / text and implement this and localisation in game
- Regularly review competing games, providing detailed analysis and knowledge to the team
- Conduct user testing sessions, documenting all feedback and identifying follow up actions
- Balance level difficulty, testing theories and iterating based on user testing and analytics
- Proactively work with the analytics team to identify areas of investigation relating to a game’s KPIs and iterate the game design based on data analysis
- Take part in team collaboration sessions, write user stories and support management / prioritisation of the backlog
- Work alongside the creative and business leads to help identify and find solutions to critical quality issues
- Be aware of the commercial goals and project constraints, tailoring solutions accordingly
- Keep abreast of the latest free-to-play design techniques and trends in all sectors of the games industry
- Support the studio in identifying the next products we could make by submitting original and innovative concepts
- Support the other games in development by providing regular feedback
JOB REQUIREMENTS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
Ideally you will have most or all of the following:
- The passion to create the best possible games that push at the boundaries of what’s possible on mobile, VR and AR
- Experience creating levels for one or more published titles with overall responsibility for your content
- A thorough understanding of developing games from the ground up through iterative development
- Experience collaborating within a close knit team and able to take critical feedback in your stride
- Be well versed in the latest free-to-play design methods
- A deep understanding of metagame design, specifically regarding progression, retention and reward mechanics
- Mobile game development experience including working alongside analytics and monetisation teams to improve KPIs and player satisfaction via data driven design
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in written form to all levels within the organisation
- Proficiency with MS Office / Google Docs or a comparable package for the creation of design documentation and spreadsheets
- Possess strong analytical and creative skills
- Show an interest in psychology, user behaviour and cognitive science
- An avid games player across different genres and platforms
- A recognised university degree with a final grade of 2:1 or higher relevant to game development
We’ll be really pleased if you have:
- A good understanding of Agile / SCRUM development, experience writing stories and acceptance criteria
- Presentation and layout skills, using PowerPoint or a similar package
- Confidence in articulating ideas, analysis and results to groups of 30+ people
- Unity scripting skills and / or knowledge of C#
- Experience creating and shipping Unity titles
- Experience developing on iOS, Android
- Experience creating and shipping VR titles
- Created innovative levels and really fun experiences as either part of University coursework or personal projects
WHY APPLY TO PIXEL TOYS
Pixel Toys is an award-winning developer situated in the heart of the beautiful Regency town of Leamington Spa.
The company works on games that are played and loved by millions of gamers across the world, pushes what’s technically and visually possible on mobile and is creating pioneering titles in the emerging VR and AR spaces.
We are a growing company and recently moved into a new completely refurbished custom spec. office in the centre of Leamington Spa.
WE’LL GIVE YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Work in a flexible environment
- Help define the studio culture and values
- Create genre-leading, award winning titles
- Collaborate and share ideas on how to push the quality of all our titles
IN ADDITION WE WILL:
- Pay a competitive salary, negotiable based on experience
- Provide pension, healthcare, and childcare schemes
- Commit to a great bonus scheme
- Provide regular activities like pub and cinema nights as well a team building events
- Commit to adding additional benefits as we grow
How To Apply