Pixel Toys is looking for a highly talented, dependable and driven Lead Designer. Someone who’ll take a game’s vision and own it, all the while driving and motivating the team to deliver beyond expectations. We need someone with the passion and skill set to create the most entertaining games possible.
Our ideal candidate is a creative problem solver. Someone who seeks collaboration across disciplines, has exceptional organisation and communication skills, and always shows high levels of enthusiasm and craft for creating great games.
As a key team member responsible for product quality, you’ll work closely with the game team, discipline leads and stakeholders, driving the game’s vision from concept to completion.
This is an opportunity to join a growing developer at an exciting time in the company’s development, and to work on innovative titles that push the limits of the latest mobile, VR and AR hardware.
We’ll provide you with a flexible and fun environment, and give you the opportunity to add your own ideas to the mix to help create the most enjoyable games possible.
Location – Leamington Spa
- Lead the game’s design, ensuring the vision is upheld and all features, content and gameplay are developed to the highest possible standard.
- Represent the game design in all planning and backlog review meetings.
- Break down high level features into detail, write user stories and support management / prioritisation of the backlog.
- Lead team collaboration sessions including brainstorming and paper prototyping.
- Assign tasks to other members of the design team, review their work, ensuring standards are met and quality is achieved.
- Develop the UX design, ensuring all player-facing elements are well defined, flow effectively and efficiently, and gameplay and key systems are introduced in an engaging manner.
- Lead the creation of detailed design specifications including: core gameplay, level designs, feature designs, UI, story and narrative, monetisation, reward and meta systems.
- Lead the other designers in creating prototypes, implementing content / core systems and balancing all areas of the game.
- Write required game narrative / text and add localisation to the game.
- Conduct user testing sessions, documenting all feedback and identifying follow up actions.
- Conduct regular progress / quality reviews and report back to management and production.
- Work alongside the creative and business leads to help identify and find solutions to critical quality issues.
- Be aware of the commercial goals and project constraints, tailoring solutions accordingly.
- Proactively work with the analytics team to identify areas of investigation relating to a game’s KPIs, and iterate the game design based on data analysis.
- Regularly review competing games, providing detailed analysis and knowledge to the team.
- Keep abreast of the latest free-to-play design techniques and trends across all sectors of the industry.
- Support the studio in identifying the next products we could make by submitting original and innovative concepts.
- Support the studio’s other games in development by providing regular feedback.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
Ideally you will have most or all of the following:
- The passion to create the best games that push at the boundaries of what’s possible on mobile, VR and AR.
- Strong leadership skills and charisma – you are someone who can bind the team into a unified creative force.
- Adept at communicating the vision at the product and feature level, never losing sight of the project goals or business needs.
- A proactive self-starter who takes responsibility for all areas of the game’s design.
- Able to tailor solutions to the realities of production, breaking large features down into efficient iterative steps, and maintaining a backup plan at all times.
- Experience designing two or more published free-to-play titles – able to demonstrate a key role within the development of those titles, and overall design responsibility for at least one.
- Be well versed in the latest free-to-play design methods.
- A deep understanding of metagame design, specifically regarding progression, retention and reward mechanics.
- A thorough understanding of developing gameplay, features and content from the ground up through iterative development.
- Experience collaborating within a close knit team and able to take critical feedback in your stride.
- Experienced in working alongside analytics and monetisation teams to improve KPIs and player satisfaction through data driven design.
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in written form to all levels within the organisation.
- Possess strong analytical skills and creative skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office / Google Docs or a comparable package for the creation of design documentation and spreadsheets.
- Proficiency with mindmap, flowchart and visualisation software.
- Show an interest in psychology, user behaviour and cognitive science.
- An avid games player across different genres and platforms.
- A recognised university degree with a final grade of 2:1 or higher relevant to game development.
We’ll be really pleased if you have:
- A good understanding of Agile / SCRUM development, experience writing stories and acceptance criteria.
- Presentation and layout skills, using PowerPoint or a similar package.
- Confidence in articulating ideas, analysis and results to groups of 30+ people.
- Unity scripting skills and / or knowledge of C#.
- Experience creating and shipping Unity titles.
- Experience developing on iOS, Android.
- Experience creating and shipping VR titles.
- Created innovative levels and really fun experiences as either part of University coursework or personal projects.
WHY APPLY TO PIXEL TOYS
Pixel Toys is an award-winning developer situated in the heart of the beautiful Regency town of Leamington Spa.
The company works on games that are played and loved by millions of gamers across the world, pushes what’s technically and visually possible on mobile and is creating pioneering titles in the emerging VR and AR spaces.
We are a growing company and recently moved into a new completely refurbished custom spec. office in the centre of Leamington Spa.
WE’LL GIVE YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Work in a flexible environment.
- Help define the studio culture and values.
- Create genre-leading, award winning titles.
- Collaborate and share ideas on how to push the quality of all our titles.
IN ADDITION WE WILL:
- Pay a competitive salary, negotiable based on experience.
- Provide pension, healthcare, and childcare schemes.
- Commit to a great bonus scheme.
- Provide regular activities like pub and cinema nights as well a team building events.
- Commit to adding additional benefits as we grow.
How To Apply