Pixel Toys are looking for a talented UI / HUD artist to help us create wonderful, entertaining games, with high-end graphics, built for mobile platforms. As one of the core members of the team you will be responsible for working with the creative leads and the art team to take the vision for our games from concept to completion. In this role you will have the opportunity to work in a flexible environment, and to add your own ideas into the mix in order to create the most enjoyable game possible.
As a candidate for the UI Artist role you are expected to have had experience within a similar role, working on the implementation of both in game and frontend UI systems. Consistency, clarity and flair are key and we expect to see this in your work throughout. We are looking for someone who is a creative problem solver, an excellent communicator, and who always shows high levels of enthusiasm and talent for creating great UI.
We are ideally looking for someone who can take end-to-end responsibility for the in-game and frontend UI and HUD of our games, and we realise that finding the right candidate is important, so are willing to consider candidates with strong natural ability who are willing to step up and take on additional responsibility over time.
Pixel Toys is currently using Unity so familiarity with it will be an advantage, as a significant portion of your work will be in Unity creating UI layouts based on your agreed concepts: implementing the textures and fonts you have created, compositing screens, linking screen flow and functionality, and liaising with the design and programming team to ensure a high level of consistency and polish.
Location – Leamington Spa
- First point of contact for the graphical design, creation and implementation of the UI and HUD for all of our games, working with art leads and team to align this with the overall game style guide.
- Creation of elements from initial concepts through to implementation of final layouts in game.
- Managing platform-specific UI assets and screens, including optimising layout and consistency.
- Font selection, style generation and management, for all languages.
- Working with the other team members to ensure the UI is consistent, polished and meets the design brief.
- Working across UI HUD systems including:
- Implement and manage all UI elements
- Implementing frontend and in game UI screen layouts
- Providing gameplay player feedback with HUD / UI elements
- Implementing and polishing the user interface on an iterative basis
- Creating and triggering UI effects
- Prototyping new screens liaising with code and design
- Ensuring a smooth clear and clean user experience through all parts of the game
Job Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, Experience
Ideally you will have most or all of the following:
- A passion for UIs that are beautiful, clear and intuitive to use
- Strong graphic design and presentation skills
- Proven experience or an inclination and ability to learn technical UI implementation skills
- Experience with Photoshop / Illustrator/ After Effects
- Experience designing and creating UI layout and flow concepts
- A positive and outgoing personality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for playing and making games
and we’ll be really pleased if you also have:
- Good knowledge of modern game engines
- Understanding of Free-To-Play UI systems and contemporary UX design
- Unity UI (design and/or setup) experience
- Excellent technical implementation skills
- Experience creating and editing fonts
- Experience working in a 3D package
- Animation skills
- Experience creating concepts
- Experience creating effects
- Experience in a senior / lead role
If you are interested and think you might have what it takes to create games like Freeblade and Drop Dead then drop us your details!
Why Apply To Pixel Toys
Pixel Toys is an up and coming developer having grown from a 2 man team in 2012 to around 36 staff today, working on some of the most high profile and most downloaded titles in the mobile space today from our brand new offices in the centre of Leamington Spa. Joining the team now will give you the opportunity to be a part of a growing team going from strength to strength. We’ll give you the opportunity to :
- work in a flexible creative environment
- help define the evolving studio culture and values
- contribute your input and ideas to all areas of our business
- be involved in defining studio processes and working practices
How to apply
Send your CV and a covering letter via the form below. We’d also love to see some examples of your work, so please send it through or provide a link to your portfolio.